Saturday’s the perfect day of the week for making getting ready into an occasion. No work means you can take your time over your hair an make up, as well as inviting the girls over for getting-ready cocktails – and no work the next day means you can party the night away! Whether you’re after a whole new look for a big night out or something inexpensive to update your existing closet, your hosiery can make all the different to your outfit. Here’s our pick of our favourite Saturday Night Tights from British brand Aristoc, whatever your plans are…
At AlexBlake.com we pride ourselves on keeping a huge collection of hosiery to hand, so that whatever you’re after you can find several options that fit. It’s all about variety – we want you to be able to be as picky as you want with your hosiery, and believe that choice isn’t a privilege, it should come as standard.
That’s why we’ve pulled together our top five sheers to suit any occasion you might have to contend with this summer…
1) The Office
We all know the last thing we want to do when the sun is beaming down is drag ourselves into the office, but having gorgeous hosiery can help to make your day a little brighter. The key to getting the perfect hosiery for your working closet is to choose something that toes the line between being elegant and functional. The Charnos Run Resist Sheers have a matte, go-with-everything finish and are great value, too. Plus they have a reinforced toe and boxer brief to make these the most durable run resist sheers around!
E Online have criticised New Girl star Zooey Deschanel for continuing to wear thick black tights now spring has hit. The fashion rule, they say, is “no black tights after April 21st”, and as far as they’re concerned, it’s gospel. But we disagree. While we love getting out the pins for that bare leg look, if you are just like Zooey and can’t bear to give up your black opaques, here are 5 handy excuses you can use when the fashion police come calling…
1) It’s COLD.
Yes ok, it might be spring and even almost summer, but sometimes no one passes this information along to whoever controls the weather. The choice? Shiver in seasonally appropriate attire or dig out your thick tights from the back of the closet. We’re with you, Zooey – goosebumps are NEVER a good look.
2) I’ve run out of fake tan.
Covered up pins are better than pasty pins, so if you haven’t got the time or means to fake a glow, either opt for opaques or opt for skin colored sheers a couple of shades darker than your natural skin tone. Don’t go too dark though, or your legs won’t match your face.
3) They go with my outfit.
Sometimes they just look right, and you have to go with your trusty opaques. Don’t wear them with longer line or pencil skirts though, as they will make your legs appear heavier and denser.
4) I haven’t had time to prep my legs for summer.
Exfoliating, hair removal, pedicures… sometimes a girl is caught out by the sudden arrival of sunshine before any of these have been factored into their week. Cover up, get organised, and debut your summer ready legs next week in your perfect bare leg look tights.
5) Zooey is my style icon and I copy everything she does.
If this is the case, we’ve got bad news for you… a couple of days later, Zooey was spotted out and about rocking the bare legs look.
So whether you’ve got pasty pins or are just plain cold, you can still stock up on your opaques at AlexBlake.com. And when you’re ready to let your legs see the light of day, we’ve got all your sheers needs covered, too!
Best known for her character, Carrie Bradshaw, Sarah Jessica Parker continuously amazes us with her fashion choices! We recently saw her donning a pair of fabulous lace tights to complement her grey dress and vibrant blue heels at the launch party for Calzedonia’s newest swimwear collection in Rimini, Italy.
The black lace tights added that extra something that moved her into the fashion center stage as per usual and showed us that SJP still pushes the fashion boundaries. Establishing herself as a fashion icon as she played Carrie Bradshaw, SJP bends all the fashion rules and gets away with it! Gracing us with her style elegance, SJP is always one to watch as turns anything from drab to fab.
And it’s so easy to copy her look – just grab a pair of lace tights to add a little character to your outfits. You can dress up your wardrobe with lace tights to add feminine charm like SJP did on the red carpet and pair them with your signature little black dress and of course a killer pair of heels to further show off your legs. On the other hand, if you want to dress down for a more casual ensemble, match the lace tights with a pair of cut-offs and boots and you’re instantly rocker chic and ready for the streets. Lace tights are so versatile and can make an outfit sophisticated or edgy while leaving your legs in the leg limelight. To get SJP’s look, try out the Jonathan Aston Sweet Roses Lace Tights to show a hint of your leg through the charming lace rose pattern.
As you channel you inner Carrie Bradshaw when wearing lace tights, your legs will be the envy of all your friends!
Sara Blakely, creator of Spanx shapewear, is one of our all time favorite people. Here’s why:
1) She created the entire Spanx company from just $5,000 of savings. Her idea of cutting off the feet of control pantyhose transformed the face of shapewear forever.
2) She has an army of celeb fans including Oprah, the Kardashians and Katy Perry – not bad for someone who…
3) …relies on the power of word of mouth to generate sales and has never spent a cent on advertising.
4) She was voted one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people in 2012
5) She failed her LSATs – and is now the world’s youngest female self made billionaire
6) Says being a billionaire is “awesome”…
7) …but didn’t tell her husband about her vast wealth until 30 days before they got married!
8) Wears her own products every day (though you’d never think she needed them)
9) Comes up with the best double-entendres for her products (our favorite is the cheekily named “On Top & In Control” Range!)
10) Says her dream is to invent the world’s first comfortable stiletto, then retire. Of her mission, she said: “We put a man on the moon, so I am sure we can do this.”
Always on the look out for what trends celebrities are wearing, we spotted funny girl Emma Stone in a shabby-chic outfit on the set of her new movie “Birdman.” Showing off her killer legs, Emma Stone sported a ripped grey t-shirt with a green army jacket on top, then denim cut-offs on the bottom, and finished the look with sheer tights with a tiny hole above her knee that created a run down her leg. Ripped tights may be messy and appear unruly, but if the look is down right (like how Emma wears it), your outfit will look worn but with a rebellious edge. We are so used to seeing Emma in glamorous dresses on the red carpet and showing off her classic style, but we love this change up in style. Showing off her fabulous legs and her edgier side in her movie, what’s not like to like rebel Emma?
That being said, if you want to try out the ripped tights trend here are few tips on how to make and style your outfit!
- You could always buy a pair of tights that already ripped, but you could also rip a pair of old sheers! When you do it yourself, don’t get too crazy with the rips because too many can be a bit much and over the top. With a few snips with tiny scissors to make horizontal slashes, make sure to dab clear nail polish to stop further ripping! The polish will be invisible once you put on the sheers.
- Don’t make it look like a costume. Match your tights with a grungy shirt and a chambray on top for the shabby-chic Emma sported or try a different route by combing the tights with a velvet dress.
- Remember to hand wash your tights to avoid even more damage to your tights.
Just re-use an old pair of sheers and create a new edgy look for your wardrobe. When your favorite sheers snags a hole and a run, don’t fret – add a bit of polish to stop the run and rock the wear and tear like Emma Stone!
Red and yellow and pink and green… color your pins in a rainbow of shades with our top ten colored hosiery styles!
1. PM 50 Denier: One of our most popular products, these 50 denier matte colored opaques are available in over 25 shades, so there really is a color to go with EVERYTHING! From classic shades like navy and grey to fluoro green pantyhose and rich reds, these are the purse friendly way to add a splash of color.
2. Falke Seidenglatt 70: Want to keep it luxe? The Falke Seidenglatt 70 Opaques are high quality hose with a mega glossy shine available in a range of gorgeous colors. Go for the lilac shade – so on trend, purple pantyhose are a chic alternative to your boring basics.
3. JA Sheer Colored Tights: With over 15 heavenly hues to choose from, these colored pantyhose are perfect for when you want to add a flash of color when the temperatures are higher and it’s just not the weather for opaques, or else when you want a subtle wash of color that’s not too bold and won’t dominate the rest of your outfit. We adore the Mulberry shade – pink pantyhose that will look fab with a pale grey shift and tan accessories.
4. Oroblu Brigitte Tights: Throw in a pattern with your colourful style for a fashion forward look – the Oroblu Brigitte sheers have a polka dot design which will never, ever go out of style, and come in chic teal and rich Bordeaux shades as well as classic black.
5. Pamela Mann Fishnet Tights: Classic fishnets with a pop of color… it could only be Pamela Mann. Nets are ideal for getting a wash of color without it being too overbearing or great in warmer weather as they are so breathable. Yellow fishnets might sound impossible to wear, but team with a tailored charcoal dress and voila! Instant sports-luxe sophistication.
6. Celeste Stein Blue Palm Tights: Perfect for wacky fashion aficionados, these are an instant remedy for bad weather blues. With a striking tropical design in orange yellow and green on bright blue pantyhose, send your pins on the trip of a lifetime and get heads turning in these bold tights!
7. Trasparenze Monique Ankle Socks: The ankle socks trend is still going strong and will continue to do so every spring. With so many gorgeous shades to choose from, you’d be a fool not to join in. Team with chunky wedges and a high hemline to counteract the shortening effect they can have on your legs.
8. Pamela Mann Sheer Heart Ankle Socks: Ok, so they only come in black or pink, but the pastel pink shade, combined with the super sweet heart pattern and scalloped tops make these the cutest thing we’ve ever put on our feet.
9. Trasparenze Valentine Colored Thigh Highs: From hot pink to lemon yellow, these sheer thigh highs will transport your
legs to sunnier climes, even if the rest of you is still stuck in the office.
10. Pamela Mann Multi Top Hold Ups: Colored thigh highs with a twist – these bright thigh highs from Pamela Mann have a contrasting colored top, so we highly recommend you show them off in cocktail shorts! A tailored blouse will add a dash of the demure to your ensemble.
Whichever heavenly hue you might choose, we’ve got every stylish shade you could ever wish for. So whether you opt for a bold injection of color or simply plump for subtle pastels, find your perfect colored hosiery at AlexBlake.com.
Never know what do with your shorts when the weather gets cold? Wearing those summer clothes with a chic pair of tights can be easily done. No stranger to this trend, Londoners are obsessed with wearing shorts with all kinds of tights during the cooler weather. This trendy, cool, yet comfy look combines fashion and practicality. No need to buy new pants when all you have to do is wear a pair of your favorite fashion tights. You not only utilize shorts, which you otherwise only wear during the summer, you get to show off your flawless legs with this trend. You get to wear shorts and you don’t even have to shave your legs. With these perks, how can you not wear shorts with tights?
Celebrities have even picked up this European trend as they been photographed wearing tights with their pair of shorts. Zoey Deschanel was spotted wearing none other than her signature tights with shorts during a “New Girl” episode. Her feminine but sexy look can be easily emulated with the Hue Shaper Opaque Tights, which provide that classic opaque look with a bonus of medium level control to shape and flatten your tummy, and shape your booty and thighs. For a more rebellious yet chic look, Nicole Richie opted for a pair of jean cut offs with opaque black tights. Even Olivia Palermo sported the black tights with shorts ensemble (pictured). Then model Miranda Kerr was seen in black leather shorts with sheer black tights that showed off her long legs for a sophisticated look. You can steal her look with Falke’s Control Top 20 Tights that flattens out your tummy while providing that classic sheer look.
Why put away all those pairs of shorts when it gets chilly? All you have to do is sport a pair of tights and you are good to go to combat that winter cold. With a few more weeks until the temperature rises, get the most of this trend. This fashion forward trend can be adjusted to fit any style and wardrobe. Sure to not go away anytime soon, a pair of cut offs and black tights go with any outfit and can suit any occasion.
When you think of fishnets, you generally think of an edge of rock and roll that adds excitement to your wardrobe. Fishnets are the go to tights for that sexy, but elegant look. So you can imagine our surprise when Jim Parson, who plays the sarcastic character Sheldon on the “Big Bang Theory” donned on a pair of fishnet stockings a few weeks ago.
You may be wondering why he was even wearing these fishnet stockings – he wanted to dress up his outfit, of course! But the real reason was to raise money for a good cause. The 39 year old actor strapped on lingerie, a curly wig, and his suspender belt and fishnet stockings for the 21st Annual A Night at Sardi’s that benefitted the Alzheimer’s Association. For the benefit, the cast of the “Big Bang Theory” performed “Time Warp” from The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. Jim played the iconic role of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, hence the fabulous fishnet stockings. He didn’t look half bad in his fishnet stockings with lace tops.
When wearing fishnets you don’t have to go for as risqué as an outfit as Jim wore – or you can if you want! Fishnet stockings as well as tights are perfect for an elegant touch or even a sultry and sexy look to any outfit. For a basic fishnet look, try Pamela Mann’s Fishnet Tights that are perfect with a little black dress and heels and available in a plethora of colors like Flo Green. But for a more adventurous choice, why not get Mary Portas & Charnos Crochet Lace Tights for an intricate lace pattern that can’t go wrong with any outfit.
To look just as good as Sheldon, grab a pair of fishnet stockings and tights to give your wardrobe a stylish edge!
Ever think you pick the cutest outfit and when you put it on it just doesn’t look right? Something is off, but you can’t place what’s wrong! The answer to this problem is not with the outfit but with what is under your clothing! We recently read a blog on MomTrends that we loved so much that we wanted to share their advice with you. Undergarments are the last thing women think about when creating their outfit for the day, but it is just as important as the clothes they wear. Here are some quick tips from MomTrends to bypass your undergarment woes.
Toeless Tights: Still want a little shape and coverage, but you also want to wear your favourite peep-toe shoes? Having tight covered toes peeking out of your shoes can ruin the whole outfit, but we have a solution: toeless tights. We recommend the HUE Toeless Control Pantyhose, which will smooth out your figure with a sheer coverage that will give your skin a flawless look while allowing you to show off your pedicure with peep toe shoes. Toeless tights are perfect for open toe shoes or shoes with cut outs.
Sheer Tights: We love our opaque tights, but sometimes dark tights can distract from your outfit. A white dress with black stockings never works. Instead, pair a dress or skirt with sheer tights that will give your legs a hint of glimmer and needed shape. The previous recommendation is a perfect option for open toe shoes, but if you’re not looking for toeless tights go for Pretty Polly Naturals Secret Slimmer Pantyhose. These tights give a natural and flawless look while secretly flattering your tummy.
Footliners: No one wants to look like a tourist by wearing bulky socks with their shoes. This fashion no-no can be easily solved with footliners that will keep your feet comfortable and fresh all day. To make your shoes more comfortable, try Levante Seamfree Cotton Footlets. These super fine footliners will remain hidden while protecting your feet from rubbing.
Shapewear : is necessity for your wardrobe and it can be kept as your little secret. You will look like an A-lister by just putting on a pair of Trinny and Susannah seamless shapewear that will smooth out any unwanted lines. Trinny and Susannah’s All in One Body Smoother can flatten your tummy and get rid of those pesky lumps on your body. It will definitely give you an extra boost of confidence!
Outfits can be easily fixed by a pair sheer or footless tights or strapping on shapewear. These changes can go a long way in improving your every day wardrobe.